One last gesture Dec. 23, 1985

 

I saw Fran today – well, technically yesterday this being 6 a.m. on the 24th and since I have yet to slip into serious sleep.

So, this is Monday even though it still feels like Sunday.

But then, I’m caught up in self judgement and the action/reaction of having once again possibly done something stupid.

Last week, I deliberately found her car, and from this, her mail box, into which I put in a copy of our latest zine, scrawling on it a simple cartoon and a balloon wishing her “Merry Christmas.”

I suppose fate played a hand in all this, pushing and pulling at me all day, timing my actions to coincide with hers.

My original plan was to buy her a plant and leave it on her doorstep. But lack of funds and time to cross seven towns to the plant store forced me to settle for buying a single pink rose and a box of butter cookies.

It was even the wrong time of day, traffic thinning after the 3:30 rush. She should not have been there. Neither should have I.

But it was all too familiar path to her doorstep fully scented with mixed memories. I snuck up them with my gifts and back down without them unscathed.

It should have ended like that.

I kept worrying she might not see the plant from her window and thought perhaps maybe she had moved since the last time.

But in the car and pulling away, I saw her walking along the sidewalk on the far side. She did not seem to be headed towards her apartment. I beeped and shouted and pull the car to the curb in a yellow zone.

I jumped out, waving both arms and a ran towards her (like some silly little kid) and stopped when I reached the place where she had stopped.

She was surprised, but not put out at seeing me, not pleased or displeased, yet not completely comfortable either.

I told her I had left a flower and cookies on her doorstep.

Her face showed some emotion I still hope was love, which she quickly packed away behind an uncertain smile.

“I’m sorry I haven’t been around to…” she said.

I waved my hand, telling her I understood, a whole lot of other words welling up inside me and it took every bit of will power to hold them back.

She asked how I was and had been and I told her, fine, although I had a cold.

I wished her a Merry Christmas and then retreated back to my car before I said something very stupid, I knew I would later regret for a day or week or for the rest of my life.

She walked the other way into one of the stores.

I cried as I drove, feeling the whole year without her as a hollow space inside me, the skin stretched across the gap ready to shred or collapse.

I should have told her I loved her, I thought, but was glad I hadn’t, knowing during and after our encounter such things are always best left unsaid, a huge mistake if uttered, and how much worse I might have felt if having said it getting chilly silence as her response.

The flower spoke for itself.

But what did it really say?

The whole thing was a reaction to a fantasy I’d carried around inside me for weeks, the foolish belief she might take me back, when even I didn’t really want that in the end.

Maybe it was just the season, and this nostalgia would fade with the holiday cheer. But even as I drove home, I kept hoping I would find her waiting at my doorstep when I arrived, trying to twist that one accidental slip her mask into the belief she still loved me and I her, that love hadn’t died after all the way we both assumed it had, though I knew and she knew whatever embers of the old fire that remained would soon turn cold.

 

  1985 Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The clock is ticking July 18, 1985

Report to the Southern front July 4, 1985

An old nemesis December 11, 1985