Faith of fallacy? August 2, 1985

  

After ten letters, two stories and two magazines sent, Mary Ann has yet to respond.

I suppose at 35 years of age, she has the right to hide, cutting ties to those of us in the east.

Maybe I’ve given her reason, offending her with my letters and stories, although I get the nagging feeling that it may well have to do with the company she currently keeps.

While I may have offended her sensibilities, I keep hearing Johnny’s rasping voice complaining about Mary Ann’s books.

“I won’t have the devil influence our child,” he said.

Even Mary Ann seemed to believe her move west would be best for all concerned; she could not pass up this opportunity to help her husband and her child.

Yet the feeling she’s been snagged persists – not just by Johnny, who had miraculously converted from a down-and-out Junkie into a husband, but by his mother who has insisted on tagging along.

The mother seems to see Mary Ann as a prize she fears her son might spoil without her help to retain it.

I’m not putting Johnny down. On the surface, he seems a genuinely sincere person. But underneath, there are other Johnnys, less honest, less well-meaning, each of them feeding off the equally multiple personalities Mary Ann has.

There is the innocent Johnny, who loves eating candy while watching Conan movies. There is the drug addict Johnny, who professes to have given up his habit, yest smokes dope like a fiend.

As much as Johnny professes his faith in God, he seems to have a deeper faith in the needle, consumed by its deeper spirit.

Not much got said in the days leading up to their departure last spring; but Mary Ann hinted that over the last four years since that hell year of 81, Johnny still drank an occasional draught from that glass of wine – a scary thought since it suggested he’ll be carrying that weight with him wherever he goes.

He might slip back into the old pattern at any time, faith in God or not, and strangely, stringing these occasional draughts he strings Mary Ann along out of fear and sympathy – feeling she will always need to save him from himself.

Johnny’s mother has always struck me as a bad apple, hiding real evil behind her faith, manipulating everything from behind the scenes, whispering polluted words of wisdom in the ears of both Johnny and Mary Ann.

Her vibe scared me the first time I met her and only got worse since.

The woman didn’t like me either, though always smiled and pretended she did. I think she hated my alternative influence on Mary Ann, someone who might give conflicting advice. Or perhaps, she was me as competing with Johnny for Mary Ann’s affections.

She always clutched her Bible whenever I showed up, glaring at me when I departed.

Mary Ann saw her help as invaluable, not the invasion I saw, as Johnny’s loyal companion, the babysitter for their child, and a constant companion for that small family.

But the more Mary Ann leaned on her, the more control she had over Mary Ann.

When Mary Ann went back to work, she could not get by without Johnny’s mother’s help.

Now, with the family isolated in the west, she has told control, and could possibly be discouraging continued contact with those of us back east she fears, feeding Mary Ann tall tales about how sinful her old life was, and how she needed to give it all up completely.

Mary Ann is a romantic, explaining how she got sucked up into this mess, seeing what she wanted to see in Johnny and later his mother, rather than what was.

She almost seems bewitched, at first, by Johnny’s romantic letters to her from jail, and now by the illusion that she can make up for a bad decision by isolating herself from anybody and anything that disagrees with that fantasy, hiding the truth behind a mask of religious faith – a faith I attacked with my art.

No wonder she isn’t writing me back.

 

 1985 Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985