The downfall of the American Empire and other trivial pursuits June 27, 1985

  

Dear Mary Kay:

I received your note the other day and had I known that you might show up I would have feared for my life – considering the kind of material we have been printing lately.

Seriously, I’m truly sorry to have missed you. It has been a long time.

It’s difficult to get ahold f me these days, too many hours working, too many places to run to.

When you came, I was rushing to Rutherford to buy a typewriter ribbon before heading up to Englewood to work.

Life is crazy. I’m going to have to slow down soon or go completely out of my mind. I work four nights baking in Willowbrook and six days at Fotomat.

I’m trying to put something together, just what I don’t know, maybe just a sense of security.

I broke up with Fran in March although it has been on and off since before Christmas and I’m just getting over it now.

I’ve been having trouble – emotional and financial – with my ex-wife again. She nearly caused us both to fall into legal oblivion, Some how things worked out. Maybe she’s been praying.

Michael is off on a strange tangent, singing with a band that plays up at William Paterson tonight. He’s been writing songs, too, but apparently has temporarily abandoned his poetry – a real crime.

Kathy Brucati is married and currently off in England after briefly working as a newspaper reporter in North Jersey. Who knows what will become of that? Franz is an odd character with a history I’m not happy about. But Kathy seems happy, deliriously so, and I suppose she’ll do well living inside a romantic novel

Lord knows, somebody needs to be happy.

How about you? From your letter, I got a sense of activity: work, work, work. But at the same time there’re seemed to be a deeper satisfaction with your efforts.

I see you’re still a stanch opponent of Apartheid. I recalled vividly our marching together at a protest in Newark a few years back.

Our next issue of Scrap Paper is about the war in Central America.

I recently learned there is a new kind of LSD called ADAM, which is supposed to be as big a revolution in consciousness raising as LSD itself was back in the 1960s.

It’ll be strange if nothing else.

Sorry for such a short letter, but I have to get to work. Stay in touch. Maybe we should pre-arrange a meeting so that both of us can attend, have coffee or something and discuss the eventual downtown of the American Empire.

Suggest a time, My schedule is so screwed up that I can only guess as to where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing at any given moment.

Definitely write.

 

 

Your friend

Al Sullivan

 

 1985 menu


email to Al Sullivan

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985