Shoe string budget July 5, 1985

  

Dear Mr. Irsay:

Thank you for the attention you’ve paid to our strange little zine. It brought notable response from people throughout the metropolitan area we would not have garnered otherwise, beyond the hub of artists, writers, poets and crazy people we have attracted previously.

We are always seeking to spread our message (even though we might not always know what that message is).

Since you gave us air time on your show, I suppose it would be fitting to explain just what we are and what we do.

We are a free newspaper, simply because we don’t have the heart to charge anyone for our unprofessional and very ragged form in which we present out material.

It is an outgrowth of frustration with main stream media and typical literal journals.  Not only is mainstream untrustworthy, but it also tends to disparage and often destroy those outlets that struggle to tell the truth.

Distribution is a problem since these are controlled by the mafia. You can’t just go into a book or magazine store and get them to put your zine out on their counter as we did in the old days of the underground press in the late 1960s. Mobsters control the trucks and other delivery vehicles, and what magazines get placed. They’ll let you see naked people screwing, but not an alternative view of politics.

I am also a high school dropout, mostly self-taught, who learned enough to get my GED and good scores on college entrance exams but have huge gaps in my education – much of which I’m still scrambling to fix. I have to learn the conventions other people my age learned early on through the traditional educational system.  The advantage is that I missed all of the social propaganda schools teach; the bad part is that I missed the stuff I need to further my goals as a writer.

Michael, my co-editor, on the other hand, is much better schooled in such things. Between us, we attempt to provide a conduit for the local arts community, maintaining communication between people who have not seen each other since college and who might not have access to the arts if not for us. Many of these people we have met through local arts events, poetry readings and such, about two to three hundred people Michael and I have met over the years.

The zine has grown in unexpected ways from when we first started, delving a bit into unpopular politics – making enemies no doubt among liberals as well as conservatives. Michael and I often disagree, Michael being much more sensitive to some issues than I am. I’m more of a bulldog, determined to get the magazine out.

We exist on a shoestring budget. While we could likely get sponsors to make the magazine slicker, it would also mean our having to curtail content.  We have faced censorship a number of times, on and off campus – and we’ve seen other publications on campus shut down because they were too closely tied to the college, while we managed to continue because we are not.

Our last issue on religion offended as many people as it pleased, losing some of my closest friends who professed to be Christians. Unfortunately, we sometimes stomp on people’s sensitivities in our pursuit of art. Sometimes, I can be as ruthless as Michael sometimes is.

For the most part, I pay most of the costs, working two sometimes three jobs.

Sometimes we struggle with content as we use it as a vehicle to improve our craft. Someday, we hope to be more consistent.

Our next major event comes next week when Michael and I plan to invade a Ginsburg event scheduled to be held on campus, partly to get back in touch with the radical professor who is hosting the event, partly to promote our zine.

Again, thanks for the mention on your program

 

 

Sincerely yours,

Al Sullivan.

 

 1985 Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985