Rain in Englewood June 20, 1985

  

The rains come, washing down Englewood streets, gusts and gales, dark clouds hanging over the whole town, sucking up the heat from the pavement.

The store air conditioner hums, chilling the air, no longer needed, but tied into the establishment next door, I cannot turn it off.

Then, suddenly, the sky changes and what was previously gray turns blue. Streets shimmer, reflecting the sunlight, painting the wet puddles red, puddles rapidly vanishing into gutters, with a few remaining flashes of lightning rippling the sky in the distance.

I almost don’t recognize the town from the first time I came here long ago.

The fundamentals are the same. Palisades still runs each to west with its accumulation of small shops huddled together in clumps, a phony, mini metropolis of Woolworths and Bimplies, and a small circle with its monument decorating the western end.

I used to zip around this in Donald’s red van on my way from Park Pharmacy or Discount House in nearby Teaneck, two distinctly different towns with distinctly different populations.

I was impressed by Englewood’s head in parking because it reminded me of towns I had traveled throughout west.

Back in 72 or 73, Hank had a girlfriend who lived here – I forget her name.

By 77, the place still felt wealthy, and my stop here was at some high-end drug store up there on the cosmetic company’s list of class joints.

I remember rushing in and out of the drug store with boxes of Channel, Dana, or Prince Machabelli my boss later shipped to poorer stores in the deep South, a strange kind of smuggling operation in which I played a principal role.

Black people started appearing on the streets after that, though one of the merchants claims they were always here, dating back to the times of the Dutch.  Kept hidden perhaps like Bergen County’s version of Apartheid.

Now they dominate the town, as if someone finally came along with news of the Emancipation, free but unimportant, as the rich whites barricade themselves in Teaneck or up the hill closer to the Palisades.

But even I fall into the quite prejudices. Last winter, I barricaded myself in the shop to count the cash, fearful of the men who sat on the stoop outside, drinking bottles of wine, drifters mostly, coming and going with the gusts of wind, chased away by the occasional arrival of a patrol car – rarely treated fairly.

The rich have abandoned the neighborhood when they could no longer have total possession, their Jim Crow far less obvious than the one in The South in the Sixties, but there none the same, surrendering the business district in an effort to prevent the spread into neighborhoods where they live.

The streets are alive with the sound of sirens, cops, fire trucks, ambulances rushing off to some event beyond my vantage point, hinting of warfare I don’t understand.

The rain returns, gusts of wind carrying is across the street, stirring the few stragglers out of the store doorways to seek dryer places to reside. A deep chill hits me as the temperature drops, not from the air conditioner, but from something else I can’t quite explain.

 

 1985 menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985