Putting things in perspective May 28, 1985

 

Hello again:

It’s been a while since Eats U Want, and a million things have happened, creatively and other.

Since I am revising the Scrap Paper Review mailing list I though I’d write a note to ask how you are doing.

Production of the newspapers is slow these days partly due to the fact that I’m working too much in my real jobs.

Yet I think we’re getting better with every issue. The next issue goes to print in a week or so – a Bible issue if you can believe that, with a Wonderland issue on its heels. Then we go back to free form stuff and get away from themes for a while.

Theme were fun and educational. But it’s hard getting submissions since people can’t predict our moods.

Speaking of which how are things in the real literary world? Are you still connected to Joel and his magazine? Have you been publishing? If so, where? Are you attending any poetry events?

I’ve been attending a few local events recently, put on by the Bergen Poets.

That crew is really determined to succeed, and it amazes me how they keep on publishing books and poems in the oddest of places. I guess that’s what making it is all about, struggling with the uncertain and odd.

For me, it is about dragging myself to the typewriter each day even though I always feel inadequate. Trying to be a writer or poet makes me appreciate the genius of those who’ve published in the past and are still read widely.

I’m no genius, therefore the struggle is more difficult, more like brick laying, putting one word after the other until it mounts up to something. Michael tends to like my stuff more than I do. I wonder if he can be both a critic and a friend.

People like Joel amaze me. Their confidence works to their advantage as they move into new endeavors. Glenn Kenny, another school make of mine, also impresses me. I get a little envious each time I see his name in some publication like Rolling Stone. All guts and a lot of deadlines.

In any case, I’d like to see some of your recent work. Maybe you can submit something to our magazine. I know we’re not God’s gift to mankind, but we try. Michael is critical, but it is his brilliance that gives the magazine credibility. I tend to be ignorant of the finer points of art and this at times shows in my writing.

Alas, half the reason for the magazine is self-gratification. It gives me reason to go to the typewriter every morning. If I truly believed my future is Dunkin Donuts, I’d likely do myself in.

Anyway, write back at least. Let me know what you think of the recent issues of the magazines and give me some suggestion you might have for future editions. A little input from a real poet is always helpful and keeps me in perspective.

 

Sincerely yours

Al Sullivan

 

 1985 menu


email to Al Sullivan

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985