Miss you terribly June 4, 1985

 

Dear Mary Ann:

I rode home behind a car with a license plate from the state where you moved, and I knew it was an omen.

So how is the wild mid-west treating you?

Things have quieted down here. But it’s gotten warm.

Pauly put his foot in his mouth again with his own private storm brewing in the apartment next door.

I’m slowly getting the car you gave me together, though I’m having some communication problems with Clifton Auto. It’s only a matter of time before I get it on the road again.

It’s really a wonderful little car. I spent a whole week touring around town just to get the feel of it before I brought it to the shop for repairs.

It might just be able to make the trip out to see you.

By this time, you’ve probably settled into your new job. Tell me how it went. Certainly, it must feel strange. I’ve been looking at a map of the area where you moved. All the towns have names that sound like Buffalo Springfield songs.

I found your town, a small place sitting on the banks of the Arkansas River. It has its own history, but not like the history of Paterson where we all grew up. Yet, I’m sure you’ll get used to it.

Has Johnny found a job yet?

I miss you both greatly. You never realize how important some people are in your life until they’re gone.

I’ve been busy, working too much, trying to write. This last is difficult yet I plug along.  Scrap Paper is at the printer. We’re looking to expand it soon. To what? Michael and I are still working that out. I’ll get back to you when I know.

I’ve heard no word from Louise. Things have dried up again. I suspect she will be moving soon, maybe out west again. But Ruby is too old to be lugged around the way she was as an infant. I fear for both of them crossing country. It disrupts their lives, and it should not be done as often as Louise does it. At some point the two of them need to put down roots.

My roots are too deep.

Pauly is planning to move as well, possibly in with his Fotomat boss, Bob, a marriage definitely forged in hell. I suspect one will murder the other if they do.

Late, Pauly had gotten on my nerves, the strain of being too near him for too long, and perhaps other things, too.

What I need is a real vacation. I do intend to visit you in the not-too-distant future. I just hope the locals don’t lynch me a damned Yankee if I come.

That’s it for now. I’ve got work this evening. Look for your copy of Scrap Paper in the mail – a touch of New Jersey arts.

 

Love Always,

Al Sullivan

 


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985