Building character July 7, 1985

 

Dear Rita:

I’m enclosing the third installment of the Crystal Tales series.

This tends to confuse my daughter who doesn’t understand that almost everything I write lately is about isolation. Sometimes the characters overcome it; many times, they don’t.

But it is always at the core of the struggle and the outcome of the work.

This is where I failed, I think in the story “Hello, My Name is Sparrow.” In that work, I didn’t quite pull off the nature of Sparrow’s isolation as compared to the other characters such as Kenny and the city itself. I hope to correct that in a rewrite soon.

In this work, I’m introducing the underlining theme of Oz, but only a few times does it actually rise to the surface. At some point, I’ll have to tell people what’s going on. In a later chapter, the wizard appears, not as Saul completely, although Saul does take on some of those characteristics, but in another character that may surprise you.

But think of who the Wizard really was, and the charade he pulled on the people of Oz, then you will be able to figure out which character I mean in this novel. Of course, a few more chapters might help, a few more pages to help better define the characters.

As I go on, I find myself more capable of character development – although I am pleased with the general cast of characters. These grow from flat, stereo typical figures needed mostly in short stories to fuller, realer characters that can help fill out the pages of those chapters that follow.

Yes, I still have issues with some of these chapters. I’m sure you’ll notice the flaws, too, as it goes along. Mark them down, save them for later. I just want to get the whole things together before I start seriously taking it apart. Let’s see what it looks like as a complete entity first.

Anyway, I’m just now getting over a ten- or twelve-day illness. The two jobs have worn me down, running my health into the ground. Even now I’m still weak, and sick of all the work. I even want to give up on the one job I kept. I would love to retire from it all and do nothing but write. But that’s the dream of all potential writers. I’m not sure my writing will ever sell well enough for me to make a living from it and understanding this only depresses me more.

I just want to keep my writing honest.

Meanwhile I keep on doing what I do, communicating with Michael, who had finally come to realize I need to put our zine on hold until I can get money and energy to continue, and give me time to get the hang of novel writing.

Each person has only so much energy and has to set priorities.

Maybe my focus on novel writing is a mistake. I hope now. I’ve never felt so “on” as I do when I’m doing it.

So, enjoy the chapter if you can, write a note telling me how you are.

 

Your friend,

Al Sullivan

 

 1985 Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985