Bitterness? May 9, 1985

 

Dear Louise:

Bitterness? Think again.

I’m not bitter; I’m worried silly over you going to jail. There is another letter explaining the situation in the mail to you. But I received your letter this afternoon and felt I needed to respond.

I told you back on Nov. 3 to inform welfare where I was and that I was willing to pay. I have a copy of that letter in front of me now. You did not. You decided to play a game with the situation. That’s dishonesty. The government calls it fraud. I talked to Mary Ann, Johnny and a lawyer. All agree you will go to jail should I decide to fight the thing in court.

I’m trying to make a deal with the family court in Paterson to prevent that, since I do owe you something for those years in which you had to struggle to raise Ruby on your own.

But I never told you to lie to welfare.

I know things are hard, but I won’t take blame for making them worse, nor will I feel guilty over your mistakes. Above all, I won’t play the bad guy in your life. If you want to hate me for doing what I must do, hate me. But I can’t bail you out of this.

I offered to pay you to get out of that camp ground thing. I’ve offered to voluntarily pay welfare for the benefits you’re currently getting. I have often sent money when I could. I can’t do more.  It’s time for you to look to the future and it can’t be based on lies.

I’m due in court on May 17 where I hope to save your ass and mine. This does not mean I am bitter. I’m simply amazed at how little your care about yourself and how dishonest you have become in dealing with serious issues.

My last letter described the penalties that can be enacted by these courts. This is serious business.

I know you have done what you felt you needed to do to survive. I’m also trying to survive.

This, however, could crucify us both. Don’t dump your guilt on me and call it bitterness. And don’t assume I don’t have problems just as serious as yours are.

This situation with the court came about because you didn’t relay the contents of my previous letter correctly to welfare and it is my fault because I failed to contact welfare directly to inform them of my willingness to pay.

Welfare wants me to pay back from the past as well. I can get out of it by showing them all the canceled checks from those I sent you. But that would mean sending you to jail and having my daughter hating me for it.

I love you both. But you can’t see that or won’t.

You spend your time and energy pursuing shadowy men who say they love you but don’t, the kind of men that abuse you and turn you into things I never you imagined you becoming, and making you do things I feel ashamed to think about.

I should have known better when you told me not to put my return address on the outside of the envelop as if you had planned the whole thing all along.

Maybe I should never have offered to help.

Right now, I’m hurting, too, over my breakup with Fran, over my inability to make it as a writer, over a billion other things I doubt you would understand, things that chip away at who and what I am and I how I live and what I believe.

Being honest with you is not enough. Loving you was never enough.

I tried to be square with you, to make up for all those years you had to fend for yourself. Maybe I can never fully make up for them. But over the last few months, things have regressed. I haven’t seen you. I have barely heard from you.

For a while, you seemed to be getting your act together, breaking out of all those self-destructive patterns of the past.

But I knew something was wrong when last summer you gave it all up, your job, your apartment, your way of life, to move in with a guy on some camp site, where he abandoned you in the middle of the woods.

I agree most men are bums – and I was a bum once, too. But I want things to get better.

Pennsylvania is too far away for me to see you often and distance sometimes makes you seem unreal to me, even unimportant. But you and Ruby are important to me, and I want you both in my life.

I just don’t know how to keep up hope when you do not communicate often and seem not to care back when you do.

I’m not sure what the court will want or if any of the plans I intend to propose will work.

I’ll write again when I know more.

 

Sincerely yours

Al Sullivan

 

 1985 menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985