A whole new Pauly? March 28, 1985

 

Dear Louise:

I sent a check for Ruby’s birthday about a month ago with a card. I just got my bank statement back and the check wasn’t on it with the rest.

Did you get the card?

The check was only for $35 but it concerns me because you mentioned you were having trouble getting your mail.

In my card, I explained that I’ve had sudden reversals with my job at Dunkin Donuts. Some of these troubles have been revolved.

I have bounced a few checks in the meantime; but thought yours would have gotten through without trouble.

Now I discover it has gone missing. Please look around. The car was in a brown envelop. The car was a strange one with a cat & dog crossing a theater strange and inside it said, “This is just a stage I’m going through, happy birthday.”

Enclosed is another check. As soon as my financial difficulties are over, I’ll send more. If you did not get the check for Ruby’s birthday, I’ll send another.

A lot of odd things have gone on around here with everybody.

Hank is sick again – if not sick, then awfully tired. He seems to sleep a lot after work like an old man.

Garrick is doing well. But Pauly – oh boy, Pauly – now there’s a basket case for you. He’s in love, and I don’t mean the sweet romantic kind of loved. I mean the rock bottom love where he can’t sleep and walks around talking to himself all the time.

He’s moody and bitchy, and snap your head off if you even mention the girl’s name. She’s 21 or 22 and works at the Fotomat and has another boyfriend which is why Pauly is so worked up.

He doesn’t see things working out between him and her.

He had her over for dinner and borrowed pots and pans from half the neighborhood. He took her to New York City a couple of times. He’s gotten a short, conservative haircut. He wears suit jackets. He’s stopped smoking cigarettes. He’s even stopped smoking pot – all for her.

This whole new Pauly is making life miserable for the rest of us.

Oh well, that’s all folks!

Sincerely yours,

Al

 

 1985 menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985