A head on collision July 17, 1985

 

The last words of Pauly’s Tarot reading haunt me. He told me to “beware.”

But he didn’t mean Safire, he meant Mary Jane. She’s on the loose with all her claws out.

I’m still uncertain about the whys and wherefores, maybe she’s jealous of Safire. There have been hints of bad blood between those two for quite some time.

A few weeks ago, when I wrote my letter to Safire – criticizing her and which made her cry – Mary Jane egged me on to do it.

Then, Mary Jane jumped into the fray with a lot of accusations.

This love/hate thing between those two drives me crazy, since I don’t know which is happening at any given moment, hate or love, and it goes back to those days when the two of them shared a Fotomat booth.

Safire seems paranoid, not just about Mary Jane, but Bob and others.

She cut off her friendship with Mary Jane when she suspected Mary Jane of having slept with her husband.

Yet it’s not just paranoia. Mary Jane is a little devil, and deceptive enough to even fool Safire at times. Other times, it enrages Safire, and still other times, it makes her sad.

Yesterday, when I was shaving, Mary Jane pounded on my door for me to let her in.

I hate people just popping in unannounced. Pauly does it. So does my landlord. And it is a habit, Mary Jane has taken up. I told her to hold on, got myself dressed and let her in. She was all smiles, and curiously, glancing around my apartment as if in search of something or someone. I suspected she was looking for Safire.

She told me she wanted to spend some time with me and Safire, hang out with us, maybe get high and stuff.

I asked if Safire knew about this, and she said, yes, but that Safire said I should say it was okay, too.

I called Safire, and Safire giggled on the other end, saying Mary Jane had seemed so depressed she agreed, although not at that moment, she said she wanted to have a private talk with me about something and Mary Jane’s presence would be an intrusion.

Mary Jane told me she’d had a fight with her boyfriend – which is the same excuse she used when she came over last Thursday, and on other occasions.

I suggested to both of them that we hang out first, and then to Safire on the phone, that we could talk afterwards.

Mary Jane, however, insisted Safire and I talk first, dashing any hope I might later wind up in bed with Safire.

At this point, Pauly showed up, saw Mary Jane, and rudely asked me “what the hell is going on?”

Mary Jane snapped back, “Nothing is going on,” then reminded me that “Safire is a married woman.”

Was Mary Jane becoming a self-appointed chaperone? Was there something going on between the two women to get even with me for some slight I am unaware of doing? Or was Mary Jane tagging along maybe to get into some sexual threesome? I’m told she’s done this kind of thing before.

Or was this again some agreement between the two women for some purpose I still can’t comprehend.

Mary Jane said she would give us an hour to talk.

Safire showed up a half hour late – which in itself was strange since normally, she is completely punctual.

She said her husband had called her.

Pauly later pulled me aside again to warm me against the whole sordid mess, telling me to be very, very careful.

“This looks like a head on collision,” he said. “You’re not going to come out of this unscathed.”

 

 1985 Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985