The same words February 28, 1985

 

 

Here again.

Debating the chance of taking Ritchie out of the hospital, knowing deep down it is fundamentally a mistake, compressing my life into a single room and responsibility for a man I have largely come to hate.

Maybe hate is the wrong word.

Yet, looking at him I struggle to avoid seeing the past open up, a psychologically bloody past where I hid in my room in the old house day and night to avoid seeing or hearing his drunken lectures, and from our mutual madness.

Not just his, mine, too, the whole house had it.

My mother had it worst; she couldn’t function at all. But the whole family struggled to survive in society, seeking a place where we could fit in.

Early on, Ritchie did best (even if it took alcohol to achieve it) because he could set his own agenda, working at his own pace, isolated from society with his tape measure, hammer & nails and saw.

The rest of the family hated him for it, and perhaps still do. They envied him and his life style, criticizing him for his drinking and other bad habits, how he came in late at night, raided the refrigerator for leftovers like a scavenging rat, the frying pan spurting with cooking of spaghetti or previously cooked chicken, dishes, pots and utensils left in the sink for Grandma or someone else to clear in the morning.

Anyone could follow his trail of cigarette ashes through the house so as to know where he went first, next and last, and how he left piles of work-stained laundry in various places for grandma to collect.

Most of these complaints, made under their breath, each – perhaps with the exception of Frank – nowhere near tough enough to confront him to his face.

When things went too far and a fight broke out, he would growl back that he paid more into the family kitty than anyone else did to live there, and that he’d been paying since he started work at 15 when most of the others didn’t start paying until grandpa died, and not regularly either.

Ritchie assumed money could make up for all the inconvenience he caused, the use of phone, the messages other people had to take, the threats from angry husbands of the wives Ritchie violated while working alone with them as a carpenter.

Ted and Harold complained that the phone was for the boat store, not Ritchie’s business.

The whole thing hurt Ritchie, hitting that part of him nobody saw but me, that need to remain a part of the family, and how different things were back when the old man (grandpa) was still alive.

Yet none of these things bothered me.

I hated those late nights when Ritchie came home drunk and found me sitting in the living room watching TV or playing records on Frank’s victrola in the dinning room, those times when he insisted I wasted my life and wanted to know how I could be more productive. This lecture leading into some other lecture until all the angry words piled together into a single feeling of rage inside of me.

I could not get up and leave. I had to sit and endure, struggling to turn my attention to something else in the room, the feel of the chair  fabric against my skin, the smell of boat motor exhaust left over from testing in the afternoon, the sound of my grandmother stirring in the master bedroom above as she got ready for bed,  the chill air from the inquinate oil heat working its way up  from the boiler below, the hateful thoughts echoing in my head I knew I would regret later when he was gone.

I felt cramped inside, part of me tightening with guilt as I accepted his judgments as real. Maybe I should have been doing something useful, productive, maybe I was as worthless a person as he claimed me to be.

I didn’t realize until much later that he was only repeating words his old man (grandpa) had once said to him, and strangely words similar to those I use whenever he is here with me, as I struggle to keep him from leaping into the river again.

 

 1985 menu


Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering again April 14, 1985

A head on collision July 17, 1985

Phil freaks out! December 17, 1985